Friday, October 22, 2010

SAPIENTIA Articles

OPPORTUNITY COST
by: Iskulmeyt_ARL’c”,)




The term “opportunity cost” is commonly seen or heard in Economics class. In Economics, opportunity cost is giving up something for the betterment of something else. In our everyday life, we usually practice this concept. How? Say for example, when we had our examination, of course… we will not dedicate ourselves studying in one subject only. We will divide our time so we can finish reviewing all our subjects. In this article, I’ll share to you my personal experience on making a crucial decision applying “opportunity cost”.
After the final examination in my former school, I’m thinking on what will I do for summer. Shall I stay at home devoting my self surfing the net all day long? Or shall I relax and find some leisure activities anyway its vacation? I made up my mind and finally decided to search for a summer job. I immediately opened my laptop and started to create a résumé. After a week, I passed my résumé to Jollibee Naga hoping to be hired so quickly. I got bored due to the series of interrogation process to applicants. Imagine? Three interviews plus one examination-whoa!
On my way to boarding house, my friend informed me that Sutherland Global Services is looking for call center agents. Even if I had this doubt if I’ll be in or not, I still tried my luck. Luckily, I was hired. On the next day, the manager of Jollibee informed me through a text message that I’m hired also. I made up my mind and finally decided to go with Sutherland. I underwent first a three week Language Training.
Really, I enjoyed a lot because of the learning that I acquired during the training and of course, the new circle of friends. I was exposed to the reality of life and that’s a major fulfillment in my self. Being the youngest in the wave, I was pampered by my colleagues. All of us passed the Language Training and we all proceed to the Product Specifics Training (PST).
PST tackles serious matters on our account that we will handle. Our training starts from 11 pm and end at 7 am. Really, I have to swap my daily routine- wake up at night and sleep at day time. It’s a big adjustment that I made but I cannot do anything but to push my self to this. On our one week training, I feel so frail physically and mentally. My legs tend to chill when I am starving, my throat is always dry that’s why I need to drink a lot o f water, a colony of ants in the bowl of toilet, and sudden loss of weight. I confessed to my mom about this and she predicted that I might be diabetic. “No! No! No! That cannot happen and must no happen”, I cried to my self. On the next day, we went to my grandma’s house to check my blood sugar. We were all shocked when we found out that my blood sugar reaches as high as 250. My mom and my grandma decided that I will never pursue anymore the work that I had. I can’t do anything but to follow-anyway, they are right.
I called my trainer and talked to her about my concern. She feels so sorry because of what happened. I had my medication to my doctor and he discussed about my lifetime disease. I came up with one very important decision in my career. I gave up Sutherland and my former school and transferred here in USANT. I know everything has a purpose why every single thing happened.
Now at my early age, I’m limited to sweets and foods rich in carbohydrates. Most of the times, I crave a lot but I need to control and discipline my self. To be honest, I don’t have any regrets on my decision. Now, I’m here in USANT, my lifestyle is everything in control- foods that I need to take and other do’s and don’ts.
Every time I inject my insulin, I find my self dependent and pathetic. But this is what God wants and I know, I can surpass this catastrophe. I will fight for my life ‘til I can, I will not lose hope ‘til I can because this is life, you need to be strong for you to survive.
“I gave up my career because I need to take care of my lifestyle…”

No comments:

Post a Comment